After years of research, AGROVIN has developed a technique to reduce potentially oxidizable polyphenols (mainly catechins), ensuring a color decrease in must without adversely altering its organoleptic qualities.
The HL2 System is based on the principle of Ion Exchange that consists of replacing ions of the same sign between a mobile phase, the must, a stationary phase, and the resin, through their respective functional groups. These functional groups serve as active centers capable of capturing ions from must (polyphenols), whereby yielding ions previously incorporated in the resin’s active centers.
An important feature of resin is selectivity: to selectively eliminate a desired ion, while respecting other ions present in the environment. When working with a medium containing different ions (i.e. must), selectivity is very important.
The HL2 is an activation process resulting from a specifically engineered resin, which guarantees the following:
- Adequate structure to the liquid to be treated
- High selectivity of the ion to be removed.
The use of the Ion Exchange technique for must treatment is provided by the Regulation (EC) No. 606/2009 OF THE COMMISSION OF THE EUROPEAN COMMUNITIES on 10 July 2009.
Advantages of the HL2 System
The HL2 ion exchange system presents a series of very practical attributes and virtues when implementing and operating it, including:
- Autonomous and Automatic: the operator only has to monitor whether the product being treated is present and the products required for preserving resin are active.
- Simple and Intuitive: the vivid and informative screen shows the ion exchange process being performed, making operator training minimal.
- Flexibility and User-Friendly: the user can change both flows and working time at any time, depending on his or her needs.
- Compact and Installation-Free: the HL2 Systemt is small relative to the flow being treated. The HL2 System also does not require rigorous installation or equipment when being installed in the winery.
- Completely Contamination Free: the HL2 System is built to not interfere or interact with any solution circulating during operation.
- 100% Food-Grade Solutions: only certified food-grade solutions are used within the HL2 System to comply with industry regulations.
- Comprehensive and Complete Traceability: the HL2 System carries out comprehensive traceability of the product being treated and the solutions administered in the different stages of the ion exchange process. Consumption and individual additive levels can also be known at any time.
- Interconnected Networking Solution: the HL2 System can be connected to each winery’s network via the internet, managing all ion exchange processes. This information can be managed from a PC or smartphone (smartphone platforms: iOS (Apple) and Android (Google)).
The HL2 System can also remotely access AGROVIN’s Technical Department (authorization from winery required) to receive fast support for updating the system and problem solving.
- The HL2 System is also considered ecological, with a pump dispensing a neutralizing solution that discharges at different stages, protecting the biological system in the sewage treatment plants.
- The HL2 System is manufactured and developed in Spain by AGROVIN, whose culture is known to provide fast and efficient after-sales service.
- The HL2 System’s operating software exists within the Microsoft Windows infrastructure, making the system completely versatile and customizable as needed.